The following procedure is to setup a compliant CentOS/RHEL 5 server(s).
How to find vulnerabilities with TrustKeeper
The tool used can be found at: https://verifone.trustkeeper.net
- Click on "Questionnaires" along left side.
- Click on "Network Questionnaire".
- Enter in IP addresse(s).
- Click on "Vulnerability Scan" along left side.
- Click "Directed Scan Request" (This will scan the IP addresses set in #3)
How to find vulterabilities with SAINT
Using SAINT scanner is the way to go serious on internal audits. The tool used can be found at: http://www.saintcorporation.com
How to deal with vulnerabilities
A default installation should yields the following results before adjust the system.
- ++++ High OpenSSH <4.4 Multiple Vulnerabilities
- +++ Med OpenSSH X11 Session Hijacking Vulnerability
- +++ Med SSH Protocol Version
- +++ Med OpenSSH Duplicate Block Denial of Service Vulnerability
- ++ Low SSL Weak Encryption Algorithms
- ++ Low Indexable Web Directories
- + info TCP/IP Technical Information
- + info Discovered HTTP Methods
- + info Discovered Web Directories
- + info Discovered Web Files
How to modify system services in order to pass the PCI compliance
The following services have been modified in order to fix the vulnerabilities on each of them.
- Current Version: 4.3p2-24
- Updated version: 4.3p2-26
- /etc/ssh/sshd_config has been edited to check the following values:
AddressFamily inet- Added
Protocol 2- Already present
- Build openssh rpm from fedora srpm
- Required version: 4.4
- Updated to version 4.5
- Create certificates as specified in OpenSSL entry.
- Generate self-signed key to avoid prompt for password when reboot Apache
# scp -r 10.0.0.120:/etc/pki/local /etc/pki/ # cd /etc/pki/local # openssl rsa -in pci.bashlinux.com.key -out pci.bashlinux.com.pem
- Add the certificate and key to /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf file
... SSLCertificateFile /etc/pki/local/pci.bashlinux.com.crt ... SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/local/pci.bashlinux.com.pem ...
- Restart http server
- Required key length: 128
- Current key length:1024
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.soon /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file
- Open block on line 588 with
- Close block on line 659 with
- Saint Documentaion and Vulnerability info http://www.saintcorporation.com/demo/saint/documentation.html